Come follow me on my social media pages...
twitter: @Georgiakirkkk
instagram: GeorgiaKirkkk

Sunday 12 April 2015

Everything is a learning experience

Why hello there and welcome to my Journal! Here I will be writing entries about various things from late night thoughts to reviews on places I have visited. First of all I probably should back track a little...

Hi my name is Georgia Kirk, I am 18 years old and live in a small town called Bolton in North West England. Heard of it? I didn't think so. Like I said this is my journal and therefore I am starting this page for myself. I would of course love for you to read my entries, however unlike a lot of bloggers my focus will be wide spread. I recently went to an apprenticeship open day managed by the BBC at Media City, looking at a course they offered called 'Digital Journalism'. It sounded fabulous and resulted in a full journalism qualification at the end but from the moment the speech started I knew instantly that I was no competitor for the role. As I looked around me I saw a room filled with 'Bloggers' people who had blogs on politics, music, current affairs... I had nothing. As the course only offered two spaces, ten overall in the UK, I left knowing I'd never be returning. The result from this was that I needed to build myself a platform, somewhere where I could practice my writing. Even if only one person reads this post or any other post I upload it allows someone to get a feel for my writing, for my personality, for my future.

Experience is asked for a lot in the world of work and I feel this is where I fall down. I currently work as a Saturday girl in a local hairdressers and have done since the age of 15. It's a love-hate job as it's just Saturday hours and a fixed daily pay of £25 for 8 and a half hours work. There is something I love so dearly about it though which makes it worth the labour and that's the people. I interact with clients of all ages and hear stories from their childhood, current life and things which are often kept private from their friends and family but for some unbeknown reason are shared with me. It's amazing to think that you never know who could walk through that door...

So, here I am. This journal is a potential door and it's about time I got my foot straight in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment